Sunday, February 22, 2009

2 days!! Countdown to Raw Food Diet.....

For Lent this year, Ken and I have decided we are trying a Raw Food Diet. This is something we have been wanting to try for years! We've done our research and have seen many speakers on this, as well as having a Juicer, Food processor and a few good Raw Food Books to go by. Lent officially starts on Wednesday, Feb 25th and will go to Easter, April 12th...so 6 weeks of RAW! I am not doing this because I am super religous or anything like that. On a more selfish level, I know this is the healthiest thing I can do for myself, and plus I have been wanting to shed this extra, baby fat weight for some time now. Here's hoping this diet does the trick!!

For those who are not familiar with a raw food diet, what we are doing is basically eating all raw vegan food, which means vegetables, fruits, grains, nuts and seeds. We will be doing a lot of juicing, which is super healthy. Our goal is to be 100% raw for the 6 weeks, so we are also going to be making all our own dressings, almond milks, juices, salads, puddings and even making home-made, raw crackers and granolas. I will probably go out and purchase a Dehydrator. I am borrowing a friend's dehydrator this week and have been practicing making crackers, cookies, veggie burgers, and dried fruit...all raw. They are coming out pretty good, so I will probably buy one. I saw an inexpensive one at Bed, Bath and Beyond for only $60. Dehydrators can run into the $300's, so I am starting with a cheap one, but it should be fine.

Ken and I will be doing this diet, but the kids will be eating their regular Vegan diet, with both cooked and raw foods. We figured it may be too difficult for them to try right now, esp since Ken and I are still novices at this whole thing. But, I'm sure the kids will get their fill of many, new, raw dishes, and I am excited at introducing them to more raw vegan options.

I will probably be posting photos and recipes of the foods we will be eating, so as to maybe inspire some of you to try some of these recipes. They really are delicious!! Going raw does not have to be boring! There are a lot of creative, delicious recipes out there and I hope to share many of them with you all.

Here are some links to check out:
http://www.rawfoodlife.com/
http://www.rawfoodinfo.com/recipes/main_courses.html

No comments: