Friday, September 19, 2008

Fall classes and updates

We are back into the full swing of homeschooling this Fall. We are in our 3rd week of our Homeschool Co-op, which meets every Tuesday from 10am-3pm. During that time, the kids all have classes they attend, which are usually taught by the other homeschooling mothers (and a few fathers). Actually, my dad is teaching an Algebra course at the Homeschool Co-op this year! Since he is now officially retired from St. Ignatius high school, he is giving a lot of his time to teaching homeschoolers on a part time basis. He is also teaching a Pre-Algebra class at his home on Mondays and Wednesdays, which Isaiah is doing. I've never seen Isaiah so excited about math as well! I think he likes having Grandpaa teach him.

The girls both opted to do separate classes this fall. Kateri is doing Gymnastics classes on Wed and Luanna is doing Dance classes on wed. It is a little more work for Mommy to get them to different facilities at different times, but it is nice to see Luanna becoming her own person for once. She loves to copy everything Kateri does. It often drives all of us nuts, esp poor Kateri, who gets really annoyed at being copied all the time. I am hoping Luanna starts exerting more of her personality now that she is getting a little older and talking a lot more as well. Even Luanna's dance teachers told me they are noticing a huge change in her this year, without Kateri being there. They say she is talking a lot in class and doing things at her own pace, which is great. Big sister is not there to tell her what to do, or to copy. Kateri loves gymnastics and she is really good at it too. Oliver is actually also taking Gymnastics for his first time this fall, and is enjoying it, although Oliver pretty much enjoys everything.

Jeremy is in the full swing of Football season. His team is not doing so great with the games though...at a record of 0-3, but maybe this weekend they'll get their first win. He has 2 hour practices 3 nights a week, so he is very physically fit this fall.

Isaiah is taking a Dog Training class with Lola. I am going with him to monitor and help in case he needs it. But, he is doing fine and has not needed my assistance. So, I just sit back and watch. He really loves his dog Lola and wants to get her to the point of passing the CGC (Canine Good Citizen test) so that maybe she can go on to become a Therapy Dog. It would be a great thing for both of them.

So, with all these classes and being homeschoolers...when are we actually home? That is the difficult question. I try to squeeze in homeschooling whenever I can. Lately it has also been at night, when Ken is around to help watch Elliot, while I can sit with the boys and read History or do English grammar. The girls are also asking to do school as well, which we can all help them with.

Elliot is 4 1/2 months old now. He is my little love. Wait...did I say little? He is a huge kid, weighing almost 20 lbs now! He is still exclusively nursing and I'd like to wait to get him on to solids until at least 6 months. The nursing is just so good and healthy for him, and he is just soooo happy with that. He is lovely, and always full of smiles and laughs for Mommmy, so he gets constant kisses and hugs.

No comments: