Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Our Tribute to Murray


Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.
-- Sidney Jeanne Seward


Yesterday, Tuesday, March 18, 2008, our beloved Murray died. I feel very blessed to have known this special soul. So, I have a lot to say about him.

He almost made it to his 14th anniversary of being with us. I found him April 14, 1994 on the streets of Cleveland...a wild, street dog, as he was known by. He was definitely wild and untrained, not housebroken at all, and even quite vicious at the time. I did not have kids at the time, so Ken and I took our time to train and love him. He always kept some of his fun, wild spirit alive though, but with enough love and hope, he was transformed into a very loving, family dog. He was estimated to be about 1-2 yrs old at the time I found him, so he lived a good, long life for a dog...at least 15-16 years.

(Our family 2007 Xmas photo...I am holding Murray in the back)

He died about 9am yesterday in our backyard. We knew he was on his last leg here, so it was expected, but also sudden, since we did not expect it to happen as we were literally on our way out the door to go to Homeschool Co-op. When I got up around 7am, I went and checked on him, and petted him. He looked up at me and acknowledged me. Then we got ready to go to co-op and I let all the dogs out. I went up to get him a little before 9am and he seemed out of it. I carried him downstairs and he was very limp. I have been having to carry him up and down the stairs and outside for the past month. He's been too weak. But, luckily, he was not a heavy dog (only about 20-25 lbs), so we managed. We did whatever it took to keep an old friend comfortable and happy with us.

Once I got him outside, I put him down to pee, and he collapsed....and then seemed to have a seizure, like a heart attack. It was sad to watch. He did gasp for air at one point. I figured he was dead pretty quickly after that and called the kids out to come see him. As they came around him, crying and touching him, he seemed to almost come back to life for another 5 minutes or so, even though I had checked his heart and it seemingly had stopped. His heart picked up beating again and he was trying to move, but could not. He was struggling to stay with us. I know he did not want to go. I told him it was OK for him to go, and we all petted him...and soon it was over. Then it started raining.

I attached a photo of him below from this past Christmas...which was his favorite day of the year. He would lay among the dog stockings (yes, each dog gets their own stocking) and guard all the treats and rawhides, and pig out on them all day. Food and treats were his favorite things in life.

From the beginning he had been a fighter. A very tenacious, strong willed and "never give up" kind of being. He was one tough dog, and also a crazy, cartoon character of a lover. Up until a few weeks ago, we have had to always duct tape our refrigerator door closed, as well as all the cupboards, because he would pull them open and get to the food.

It's sad and also funny to look now and see the duct taped refrigerator still, remembering how feisty he was. He was a funny dog full of antics...a real troublemaker in his younger days. He's had a couple tough years here at the end though and we are glad he is finally at peace. He was a good friend, was loved and will be missed.

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
--Robert Louis Stevenson


What is with these dogs (who are all really angels)? They just all get to you, dig into your heart and then rip it out when they die. I just love them...love them...love them!! And I will go through this again and again and again...because I will always have dogs, since I truly love them all. My home will always be open for more.
In his old age, Murray would sometimes get very feisty like a ticked-off old man and would growl and snap, but he would never do it with me or the kids...mainly to Ken, other men and maybe strangers (this was an old habit of his that he had reverted to in his old age). Anyways, I found it very funny that every time I would pick him up to go outside, he would almost smile and cuddle as I'd carry him out. But, when Ken would carry him out in these last days, almost every time he'd pick him up, he would growl and snap at Ken...and really scare Ken. Ken had started wearing these thick, thick gloves to pick him up, because Murray would seriously bite and snap at Ken's hands and face. I had to laugh, since Ken would be all embaressed because he was scared of a 20 lb, old, frail, blind, practically toothless dog. Sometimes, Ken would call me to PLEASE help him because he was scared Murray would bite him. Well, once blind Murray knew it was me, he would calm down and not bite, and then I'd try to trick Murray and hand him off to Ken to take him out, and usually we'd hear the growling start to happen and Ken would run him quickly outside..for fear he'd get bitten fast. Oh My...it was the comic relief of my day! I miss it already. I just loved that feisty, old guy! Well, on the night of March 17th, the night before he died, he let Ken pick him up just fine. Ken knew it must be a sign of sorts...since he has not let Ken peacefully pick him up in awhile. It was so odd, that I took a photo of that night. This is Ken and Murray, after he brought him inside that night. Murray was so comforted in Ken's arms, that he fell asleep there with Ken holding him on the couch. This was the sweet Murray we had grown to love over the years.



"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then I want to go where they went."
-- Unknown



"Man walked up and said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but The First Friend because he will be our Friend for always and always and always!"
-Rudyard Kipling


Murray, you were a good friend like no other! You are dearly missed and always loved.
Love, your Forever Family

P.S. To end this long post, I had to add one of my favorite dog poems, titled "Rainbow Bridge"

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

--Author unknown...

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

Oh Betsy, we are so sorry to hear about Murray. Thank you for sharing this tribute of him. The photo by the refrigerator is priceless.

Love,Rebecca

Ladyblog said...

Awwww. This made me teary.. I know you are going to miss him. What a sweet tribute. I'm sorry that he's gone, I know he was part of your family.
~Rebecca Long

Anonymous said...

I love that Rainbow Bridge!! I think I read it once, a while ago,,, after Ramsey had died,, i love it!

aww cute lil murskey!! he was loved!